Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Blah

Ok, so first off, let's update on the stomach situation. Apparently the gall bladder wasn't the only problem. It took care of some of the symptoms, but not all (I won't gross you out with details) so I have to go in today for an endoscopy so they can look at my stomach and small intestine and see if they can figure anything out from there. I really don't like the idea of having a tube down my throat while I'm awake, but whatever, hopefully I'll get some answers.

Now, onto the job front. I got hired at the Oshkosh Human Society and started there last Friday. This is about the farthest thing from my dream job as I could get. I spend 4 hours cleaning cat cages. Basically I'm a glorified janitor, and isn't that why I went to college for 10 years? I thought so. Anyway, I've been in rescue the past two days which is basically the area where they keep the newer cats that they don't have room for up front. There are 23 cages which I am responsible for feeding, watering, scooping poop, and making sure that the bedding is clean. It's disgusting work. I do like spending time with the cats, however 20-30 cats in one room is hell on my allergies. Yes, I am allergic to cats, however it apparently takes a room full of them for me to have a reaction. I also think that a cat in your own home helps you develop an immunity to that particular cat, which is why I am able to have 2. I have a feeling this job will last maybe another 2 weeks.
I know what you're thinking - it's a job, who cares what it is, it's money. However, here's the thing. Last week I got a call from AssBank and I have an interview tomorrow. Of course it's for a position I applied for 4 years ago (ok, maybe 4 weeks) but my friend Katie that works there gave my information to the branch manager. So there's option number 1.
Then, last night I got a call from the recording professor at UW-O. It seems that his daughter's school, Laconia High in Rosendale, can't find a long-term sub for their choir director when she goes on maternity leave. I can't imagine why this would be a problem, but the important point is that they called to see if I would be interested, which of course I was, and then passed my information along to administration. So hopefully come December I will have my own choirs to direct, even if only temporarily.

The other problem with the OAHS job is that they pay minimum wage and are pretty hard on the employees. I realize that they are under a lot of pressure and their jobs are difficult, but that doesn't mean you get to treat the employees like crap. On top of that, I'm pretty sure I would end up working Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I'm sorry but I'm just not willing to do that. I'm 32 and I've paid my dues by working holidays since I was 15, so I'm done. Family is more important to me than a paycheck when it comes to that. Wed-Fri I'm just dog-walking though, so I don't think I'll mind that as much.

Ok, the last thing I wanted to talk about is my friend Sarah's blog. She has two that I follow, but the one I'm talking about is her stamping blog. I love stamping, but just have never had enough time to do it. So I keep up with Sarah's blog to get ideas, and then steal them. LOL I really do plan to make Christmas cards this year (I've been saying that for years and finally gave up the last couple of years) and Sarah has some great blog candy up today that I'm trying to win for just that purpose. Anyway, if you're into stamping and want some great inspiration, check out her blog here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So did you ever hear anything about the rosendale gig?