Friday, October 10, 2008

Thinking out loud...

Sarah, just so ya know...Chipotle=bad idea...but I think we both knew that.

Went shopping at Michael's with Sarah, my friend, You, and Bee. Bought stuff that I didn't need and it felt damn good. I think I'll try to finish off some more save-the-date cards and Christmas cards this afternoon, depending on how far Chipotle gets me...this could all just turn into a nap.

I'm pretty excited for Mass this Sunday. I finally got off my butt and got some people to come sing/play with us. This list is mainly because I'm visual and want to see it more than for your entertainment, but so be it.
Singers - Me, of course, Dave, Mary and Tori
Guitars/Bass - Jon and Nathan
Keys - Nate and hopefully Matt
Drums - Hopefully Mark, and Lucas and maybe Jon on one or two
Sax - Chris

Considering it's been just Nate, Jon and I for over a month, I thought this was a pretty good turn out for this week. We're also doing some awesome tunes. The pre-Mass song is called "Love Is Here" by Tenth Avenue North. To explain why I love this song so much requires the story of my first hearing it. Last month I went to Arizona for a liturgy and music conference for LifeTeen. I learned a ton, but of course my favorite part was the daily music. We started each day with music before we had our break-out sessions, had music during Mass, and ended the night with music. They had some great musicians including Matt Maher, who has become known world-wide for his compositions and concerts for the Catholic church. (www.mattmahermusic.com - to to his website to hear his stuff, or there is also a youtube link below for one of his songs we're doing this weekend.) Audrey Asaad was also there. She's been touring with Matt and you can hear her here: www.myspace.com/audreyasaadsings

Anyway, the second day of the conference was pretty emotional. I went to my first confession in 22 years for one thing. Then we had a session on the Eucharist and the importance of focus on the Eucharist in Mass. Right after this was Mass. The Communion song was "Love is Here" and I think it was the first time I had ever taken Communion while actually thinking about the meaning of it and the sacrifice that it represents. The cool thing was, I wasn't the only one that was moved by this. My friend's Gavin and Benjamin were also moved to tears. Gavin is similar to me, sarcastic, outgoing, loud - so it made me feel a little less of a freak to see her have the same reaction as me. Anyway, that's the story of "Love is Near." You can listen to it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGGanAZ2IwM

The next song we're doing was my absolute favorite from the conference. I think I heard it 3 different times from different groups and I've been wanting to do it since then. I've been going a little nuts between the priest and the liturgist, because the priest wants more upbeat, teen-oriented things but the liturgist wants to make sure that ALL the Communion and gathering songs are songs the congregation already knows. I can see her point, but at the same time, I hate being limited to introducing new songs only during Prep and recessional. ARGH! Anyway, I'm doing Hosanna for Prep since it's new and God knows the congregation would throw rotten fruit at me if I sang it for communion. Anyway, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQGJdTpMUcU

The last song I'm excited about is "Your Grace Is Enough" by Matt Maher. We've done it for the pre-Mass song the past two weeks, but this will be the first time the congregation will be in on it. Plus, I'm excited to do it with a bigger group.

Ok, this is long enough. I believe my gall bladder is trying to eat its way out of my body. Nap, and then maybe some cards. Oh, and if you haven't read today's cakewrecks post, go do it now. it's hilarious!

3 comments:

ThePortman4 said...

Good for you for introducing some wonderful Christian worship songs to the Catholic church. The church I attend sings all of these songs. There is nothing like worshiping God with great music.

IzzyBeth said...

NOW YOU ARE ON MY BLOG LIST! LOL

Unknown said...

Oooo... sorry about the gut rot with Chipotle. :( It was tasty though, wasn't it?

You has been asking for, well, you all day. Yesterday too. Give me a call when you're feeling better so I can get you and You together.

lol. That hurts my head. :)

Hope everything went well today!