Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Health update...

Well it's been over a month now that I've been dealing with this burning, nauseous after eating, nauseous for no reason, pain in my side deal with my stomach. At first I was put on Prilosec, which wasn't bad, but didn't take it completely away. As time wore on it got worse and then 2 weeks later I was switched to Zantac, which pretty much did nothing. So finally, yesterday, I was sent in for an ultrasound and it turns out that my gall bladder is enlarged. So now I've been put on a new medication but if that doesn't work I go in for another test on Friday to test the sluggishness of my bile (how gross is that?) and if that comes back positive, out comes the gall bladder. Needless to say, my crappy temp job that I hate has been put on hold for the time being because I feel like crap most of the day. Not to mention, I hate the job, it makes me feel like a telemarketer, and therefore it stresses me out to go. In fact, I think it stresses me out even more than being unemployed. So it's not good for my stomach anyway, right?
Here's the funny thing. Although I was terrified at the prospect of paying for surgery, there is a program through Aurora that will help me with that, so that seems to be taken care of. I'm not really afraid of the surgery itself because it seems to be pretty common and, let's face it, I've gone under the knife enough in my life that I should be a pro. But the person that is not even a little bit comfortable with all this is Jon. The poor guy is scared to death and I don't know what to do for him. He's never had surgery, nor has anyone he's been close to, so he really doesn't know what to expect. I keep reassuring him that I'll be fine, but he just keeps looking at me like he's terrified. I feel so bad for him. We did talk about it last night and a co-worker of his recently had his gall bladder out and is fine. I pointed out that this co-worker is older than me and has other medical issues that complicated things, and he's still fine. I think that made him feel a little better. Either way, I think we'll both be glad when this is all over.
Truth be told, if this current medication doesn't work and I have to have the test on Friday, I hope it's positive. I know that sounds retarded, but if it's negative, then it's basically back to square one and I have to go to a gastrointerologist. Not only is this more money I don't have, but apparently it takes about a month to get into one. Great. I'd kind of just rather have my answer, have them take the damn thing out and be done with it. Wow...crabby much? Ok, that's it. I'm off to fill out paperwork stating how poor I am.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gall bladder surgery isn't bad. It's even outpatient surgery! I had mine at 3pm, and was on my way home at 7. Of course, we had to stop a few times so I could vomit, but other than that I was fine. Long story. Ask me some time.

They just make a little incision by your belly button, and then two small holes up a little higher. One hole is for the camera, one for the light. Then they pull it out by your belly button.

Am I helping? Maybe not. Really though, it's not bad.

Maybe just tell him you'll feel "happy" when you get home. *snort*

IzzyBeth said...

Must be a family thing - I had my gall bladder out too - for kind of the same reasons . . . in fact, several of the women in our family have had it taken out - so it must be a defective gall bladder gene. LOL!

Let me know what you find out!!!